Fossil Sites and Displays
Always make sure that you seek permision before collecting. Follow all local, state and federal laws and regulations.
There are many other fossil sites in the National Capial Area. The Dinosaur Fund takes field trips to many sites not listed below.
The Fossil Collectors' Code of EthicsI will collect with the landowner's written or oral permission. I will not trespass and I understand that I am personally liable if trespassing. I will respect the landowners' rights and wishes. I will collect and only take what is reasonable for my use. I will follow any rules or regulations for collecting on public lands. I will observe safety precautions and use common sense. I will report and finds of scientific value to the property owners or a museum.
- The Dinosaur Park in Prince Georges County is open to the public the 1st & 3rd Sat. of the month 12-4 pm. Groups may call (301) 627-7755 to schedule visits at other times . Currently there is no charge.
- Fossils in the Architecture of Washington, DC
- Fossil Hunter - Maryland
- Fossil Hunter - Fossil Collecting sites in North America
- Fossil Collecting Sites at Calvert Cliffs
- Find a Dinosaur
- Washington, D.C.
- Fossil Collecting in Pennsylvania
- Paint Branch Stream, College Park (need permission of Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, 301.627.2270)
- Purse State Park, Nanjemoy, MD (need permission from the Department of Natural Resources) 410.974.3589
- Calvert State Park, off MD Route 2 & 4, Lusby, Calvert County, Miocene (15 million). Scallops, other shells, some shark's teeth and whale and porpoise bones. 301.856.8987
- Henson Creek Hiker/Biker Trail (need permission of Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, 301.627.2270)
- Flag Ponds Nature Park, off Route 2 & 4, St. Leonard, Calvert County, Shell, coral, sand dollar fragments, bone, sharks' teeth. Admission. 410.586.1477 or 410.586.5327
- Breezy Point, MD Route 4 to Route 261 south, east on Breezy Point Road, Chesapeake Beach, Calvert County, MD. Small sharks' teeth.
- National Museum of Natural History - Washington, D.C. 202.357.2804
- Calvert Marine Museum - Solomons, MD 410.326.2042
- Howard B. Owens Science Center - Greenbelt, MD 301.577.8718
- Natural History Society of Maryland - Baltimore, MD 410.235.6116
- Maryland Geological Survey - Baltimore, MD 410.554.5500
- Sideling Hill Visitor Center - Interstate 68, near Hancock, MD 301.842.2155