Science Book Project
Each Student will research a topic of their choice and gather information
to write a child's science book on their chosen topic. The final copy
will present a minimum of 10 facts with illustrations that help explain
the facts. Each book will contain:
Your progress will be monitored. Several due dates for the project are
listed below. The project is worth a total of 300 points. It will be
due the last week of the grading period so you have 8 weeks to complete it.
- Title page
- Table of Contents
- Text with illustrations
- About the author
- Optional for all groups as Extra Credit:
index,Experiments, activity sheets, game, etc. dealing with the facts
- Review project with your teacher. Explain your project to the adults at
home and get a signature. Due: ____________- worth 15 points
- Fill out a Science Book Review Sheet (Evaluation of Science
Trade Book handout). Due: ____________- worth 25 points
- Survey possible ideas by looking through books at home and
in the library and by talking with parents, teachers and other
people about possible topics of interest. Make a list of 3 possible
topics, then select one topic. Turn in sheet with 3 topics and the chosen one.
Due: ____________-worth 15 points.
- Start reading and taking notes on your topic. Be sure to keep track
of your sources (you will have two weeks for this)
Due: ____________- worth 50 points.
- List all your information in complete sentences as you will use them in
Due: ____________- worth 15 points.
- Make a mock up of each page with possible illustrations. I prefer you
to do your own illustrations but if you wish you can use an outside contractor
to illustrate your book, but the pictures must be your ideas. You must give
your illustrator special instructions on what to draw. Give your illustrator
credit in the title page.
Due: ____________- worth 30 points.
- We will bind the books in class. You may write the facts freehand
using large letters or you may use Bank Street Writer (primary text) on
the Apple IIe, or your choice of wordprocessor on the Macintosh.
Due : ____________- worth 150 points.
My child has gone over this long term assignment with me and I
understand my child has 8 weeks to do it.
Sign here: _____________________________________________
Score sheet for progress of project:
- _____ Student Final Check Sheet
- _____ Teacher Final Check Sheet
- _____/15 Review and signature
- _____/25 Science Book Review Sheet (Eval. of Science Trade Book)
- _____/15 Survey and select topic
- _____/50 Notes on topic
- _____/15 List facts in order
- _____/30 Mock up of facts and illustrations
- _____/150 Final copy
- _____ Extension activities
This page is maintained by Mary O'Haver, Fairland
Elementary School, and Prof. Thomas O'Haver , University of Maryland,
through the cooperation of the Maryland Collaborative for Teacher Preparation
and the Computer Science Center of the
University of Maryland at College Park.. Comments, suggestions and questions should be directed to Mary O'Haver at email@example.com or Prof. O'Haver at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This Web site was first created on March 5, 1997
Last updated March 5, 1997