HCIM Capstone INST 776, Spring 2013
Schedule [Last updated 2/24]
|Date||Lecture Topic or Assignment Due|
|Jan 24||Lecture on Literature Reviews.|
|Feb 7||Lecture on Experiment Design.|
|Feb 14||Please schedule a one-on-one meeting during the regular class time.|
|Feb 21||Please schedule a one-on-one meeting during the regular class time.|
|Mar 7||Mid-term progress report and presentations due. [Assignment description]|
|Mar 21||Spring Break|
|Mar 28||Please schedule a one-on-one meeting during the regular class time.|
|Apr 8 [Monday]||Draft reports due. [Assignment description]|
|Apr 18||Reports and code due. No meeting.|
|Apr 25||Final project presentations. [Assignment description]|
|May 6||iSchool learning expo poster session. Note: This is a Monday.|
|May 9||Final reports and code due with requested changes. No meeting.|
Conducting Literature Reviews
- Jeffrey W. Knopf. Doing a Literature Review. PS: Political Science & Politics, Volume 39, Issue 01, Jan 2006, pp 127-132.
- The Literature Review: A Few Tips On Conducting It. University of Toronto.
- Literature Reviews: An Overview for Graduate Students. North Carolina State University.
- Richard Lowry. Concepts and Applications of Inferential Statistics. Nice resource on common inferential statistics along with calculators.
- The APA Style Guide, often used for presenting statistical results in HCI.
- Joseph E. McGrath. Methodology Matters: Doing Research in the Behavioral and Social Sciences.
Examples for In-class Exercises
- Daniel Vogel & Patrick Baudisch. 2007. Shift: a technique for operating pen-based interfaces using touch. Proc. CHI'07.
- Mayank Goel et al. 2012. WalkType: Using accelerometer data to accommodate situational impairments in mobile touch screen text entry. Proc. CHI'12.
- Shaun Kane et al. 2011. Usable gestures for blind people: understanding preference and performance. Proc. CHI'11.