Improve Your Image: Acquiring, Enhancing, & Using Digital Images.
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~toh/image/Last revised November, 2005
Presented by Tom and Mary O'Haver
Brief Course DescriptionPart 1: Basic Digital Photography Review of computer basics, choosing a digital camera, downloading pictures from your digital camera, organizing your photo files, printing your pictures, sending pictures via email, copying pictures to a CD-R disk, basic photo editing with Paint Shop Pro, correcting common photographic flaws, choosing and using a scanner, how to send photos on the Internet using Shutterfly.
Part 2: Advanced Digital Photography Review of basics, overview of tools in Paint Shop Pro, adding text labels, artistic and creative effects, creating a photo collage, how to make multi-layer images, automating repetitive actions, making your digital still images into video slide shows to watch on TV, using clip art, importing images into other applications, scanning cartoons and logos, color extraction, colorizing black and white photos.
This course can be given as one 6-hour workshop, two 3-hour workshops, or as 6 or 7 two-hour classes.
Contents of the workshop CD-ROM (version 20)
Handouts for Part 1 (Basic Digital Photography)
- How to use the CD-ROM.rtf: How to use the CD-ROM distributed in this course. (WordPad or MS Word document)
- DigitalCamera.rtf: Choosing a Digital Camera. (WordPad or MS Word document)
- Photo File Basics: Photo File Basics. Downloading pictures from your digital camera. Organizing and re-naming your photo files. Printing your pictures. Sending pictures via email. (WordPad or MS Word document). Also available in Adobe Acrobat PDF format.
- CommonTasks.rtf: Using the Common Tasks menu in Windows XP. (WordPad or MS Word document)
- FreeSpace: How many digital photos can you fit on your hard disk? (Adobe Acrobat PDF format). Also available in WordPad or MS Word document format (Print in Landscape orientation).
- Picasa Photo 2 Organizer.rtf: Using the Picasa Photo Organizer, a free photo organizer that finds all the photos on your computer (WordPad or MS Word document).
- Task1forPicasa.rtf: Practice tasks for Picasa 2 (WordPad or MS Word document).
- OrderingPrints.rtf: Step-by-step workshop activity - How to Order Prints from Walmart from within Picasa 2 (WordPad or MS Word document).
- How to Install PSP Studio.rtf: Step-by-step instructions for installing Paint Shop Pro Studio on your Windows computer. (WordPad or MS Word document)
- Getting Started: Getting Started with Paint Shop Pro Studio. (WordPad or MS Word document)
- Summary.rtf: Summary of Common Paint Shop Pro Studio Operations (WordPad or MS Word document)
- Paint Shop Pro Reviews.rtf: Critics reviews of Paint Shop Pro 8, 9, and Studio (WordPad or MS Word
- Problems using Paint Shop Studio.rtf: Common Problems using Paint Shop Pro Studio Operations (WordPad or MS Word document)
- Scanner.rtf: Choosing and Using a Scanner. (WordPad or MS Word document)
- Epson Perfection 4870 Scanner.rtf: Review of a high-quality scanner suitable for prints, text, slides, or negatives. (WordPad or MS Word document)
- Tasks1.rtf: Paint Shop Pro Practice Tasks for Part I (WordPad or MS Word document)
- Tasks2.rtf: Paint Shop Pro Practice Tasks for Part II (WordPad or MS Word document)
- ShutterFly.rtf: How to Send Photos on the Internet using Shutterfly (WordPad or MS Word document)
- What Program.rtf: What Program Should I Use? - Digital photo tasks and how to do them.(WordPad or MS Word document).
Handouts for Part 2 (Advanced Digital Photography)
Pictures, software, and Interent Links
- Software Installers folder: Image editing software for Windows and Macintosh.See the ReadMe file in this folder for a list of software and instructions. The main software that we use in the course is Paint Shop Pro Studio.
- Example pictures folder: Pictures used in the demo portion of the workshop and for the Practice Tasks.
- Links to related topics and activities: Web shortcuts to topics and activities related to digital imaging, including: Art and Drawing lessons, Cameras and scanners, Color, Classroom activities, Symmetry, Reviews of Photo Editors, Web Photo Album sites, Creative and craft projects, and other topics.
- Layer demo folder: Examples of the use of layering to produce composite photographs. See the handout "How to make multi-layer images in Paint Shop Pro".
- Photos to Colorize: Collection of black-and-white photos (mostly portraits) to practice colorizing. See the handout "Colorizing Black and White Photos in Paint Shop Pro" for detailed instructions
- Artistic effects folder: Examples of the use of the Brush Strokes effect combined with layering to produce painting-like artwork from photographs. See the handout "Layered Painting Effects in Paint Shop Pro".
- FreeClipArt folder: Royalty-ree clip art downloaded from the Internet, in various file formats.
Where to download the latest versions of graphic software:
- Presentation slide show: Illustrated introduction to basic digital photographic terms and concepts.
- Digital Image Literacy: Questions and Answers about Digital Imaging.
- Paint Shop Pro Tutorials folder: Large collection of tutorials developed by the publishers and customers of Paint Shop Pro.
Other Material on the CD-ROM:QuickTimeInstaller.exe: Quicktime 5 for Windows. Use this to install Macintosh-compatible video and sound capabilities into your Windows PCand Web browser.
NoteTab_Setup.exe: Installer for NoteTab Light, a freeware multi-file text editor useful for editing templates. It allows all the files in a template to be opened at once and performs search and replace functions within all the files of one template simultaneously. Great for changing background and text color throughout an entire template, adding image and sound links, or changing graphic or sound file types. Instructions for use are in NoteTab on this CD .
picasa-google-free.exe: Installer the Picasa, a free photo program that finds all the photos on your computer. Double click picasa-google-free.exe to install and keep clicking Next until the installation is finished. Instructions for use are in Picasa Photo 2 Organizer on this CD.Background patterns. A folder containing some background patterns to add to your Web pages. See the ReadMe file in that folder for instructions.
Alternative navigation arrows. A folder containing some alternatives to the normal navigation arrows. See the ReadMe file in that folder for instructions.
Last revised November, 2005. This page is maintained by Prof. Tom O'Haver , Professor Emeritus, The University of Maryland at College Park. Comments, suggestions and questions should be directed to Prof. O'Haver at email@example.com.