Dr. R. McGinnis
RIA: Interview Protocol
Guidance in constructing protocol (a list of questions)
1. Start from more general inquires then move to progressively more specific inquires.
2. Avoid questions that can "Yes" "No" responses.
3. You may probe a response by asking the learner to "Explain what you mean" or "Please elaborate on your response" (it is ok to use that expression with upper elementary/middle level students).
4. You may use manipulates to illustrate your inquiry.
5. And, after you have crafted a protocol, be consistent in how you use it.