Phaneuf Group Publications
64. “Comparison of enhanced
fluorescence and near-field intensity for Ag nanowire/nanocolumn
arrays”, Shy-Hauh Guo1, Julia J. Heetderks3,
63. “Supramolecular Cobalt-porphyrin/fulleropyrrolidine dyads self-organized on gold(111): a scanning tunneling microscopy and spectroscopy study”, F. Matino2, V. Arima*, G. Maruccio, R. J. Phaneuf, R. Del Sole, G. Mele, G. Vasapollo, R. Cingolani, and R. Rinaldi, submitted to Journal of the American Chemical Society (2008).
62. “Anomalous scaling in epitaxial growth on vicinal surfaces: meandering and mounding instabilities in a linear growth equation with spatiotemporally correlated noise”, Ajmi B.H. Hammouda*, A. Pimpinelli and R.J. Phaneuf, accepted for publication in Surface Science (2008).
“Characteristic Length Scales In Evolution Of Patterned Step Structure
On Vicinal Si(111) Surface During High Temperature
60. “Fluorescence Enhancement from
Size-selected Nanoparticles: The Role of an Active Substrate Substrate”, S.-H. Guo1, S.-J.
59. “Near-surface modification of polystyrene by Ar+: Molecular dynamics simulations and experimental validation”, J. J. Végh*, D. Nest, D. B. Graves, R. Bruce2, S. Engelmann2, T. Kwon1, R. J. Phaneuf, G. S. Oehrlein, B. K. Long and C. G. Willson, Applied Physics Letters 91, 233113-1,-3 (2007)
58. “Plasma-surface interactions of model polymers for advanced photoresists using C4F8 /Ar discharges and energetic ion beams”, S. Engelmann2, R. L. Bruce2, T. Kwon1, R. Phaneuf, G. S. Oehrlein*, Y. C. Bae, C. Andes, D. Graves and D. Nest, E. A. Hudson, P. Lazzeri, E. Iacob, and M. Anderle, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology 25, 1353-1364 (2007).
57. “Spatial and Size-Resolved Electrostatic-Directed Deposition of Nanoparticles on a Field-Generating Substrate: Theoretical and Experimental Analysis”, D.-H. Tsai2, T. Hawa, H.-C. Kan3, R. J. Phaneuf, and M. R. Zachariah, Nanotechnology 18, 365201-36510 (2007)
56. “Transient Roughening Behavior and Spontaneous Pattern Formation during Plasma Etching of Nanoporous Silica”, T. Kwon1, H.-C. Kan3, G. S. Oehrlein, and R.J. Phaneuf, Nanotechnology, 18, 055305-055309 (2007)
55. “Temperature-Driven Change in the Unstable Growth Mode on Patterned GaAs(001)”, T. Tadayyon-Eslami1, H.-C. Kan3, L. C. Calhoun and R. J. Phaneuf, Physical Review Letters 97, 126101-1,-4 (2006)
54. “Evolution of Patterned GaAs(001) during Homoepitaxial Growth: Size vs. Spacing,” H.-C. Kan3, R. Ankam1, S. Shah1, K.M. Micholsky1, T. Tadayyon-Eslami1, L. Calhoun, and R. J. Phaneuf, Phys. Rev. B 73, 195410-1,-8 (2006).
53. “A Systematic Study of the Size and Spacing Dependence of Ag Nanoparticle Enhanced Fluorescence Using Electron Beam Lithography,” T. D. Corrigan3, S.-H. Guo1, H. Szmacinski, and R. J. Phaneuf, Applied Physics Letters 88, 101112-1,-3 (2006).
52. “Length-Scale Dependence of the Step Bunch Self-Organization on Patterned Vicinal Si(111) Surfaces”, T. Kwon1, H-C. Kan3 and R. J. Phaneuf, Applied Physics Letters 88, 071914-1,-3 (2006)
51. “Electrostatic-Directed Deposition Of Nanoparticles On A Field Generating Substrate,” D-H Tsai2, S. H. Kim, T. D. Corrigan3, R J Phaneuf, and M.R. Zachariah, Nanotechnology 16 (2005) 1856–1862.
Fluorescence from Periodic Arrays of Silver Nanoparticles,” (Invited), T. D.
49. “Direct imaging of forces in scanning tunneling microscopy (STM) tunneling to a silicon pn junctions”, Jeong Young Park, R. J. Phaneuf, D. F. Ogletree, and M. Salmeron, Applied Physics Letters 86, 172105 (2005)
evolution of surface roughness on patterned GaAs(001) during homoepitaxial growth”, H.-C.
47. “Patterning-based Investigation of the length-scale dependence of the surface evolution during multilayer epitaxial growth”, S. Shah1, K. Limpaphayom1, T. Tadayyon-Eslami1, H. C. Kan3 and R. J. Phaneuf, Applied Physics Letters 83, 4330-4332 (2003)
46. Investigation of the direct electromigration term for Al nanodots within the depletion zone of a pn junction”, J. Y. Park3 and R. J. Phaneuf, Journal of Applied Physics 94, 6883-6886 (2003)
45. “Low Energy Electron Microscopy: Imaging Surface Dynamics”, (Invited) R. J. Phaneuf* and A. K. Schmid, Physics Today, 56(3), 50-55 (2003)
44. “Conductance Imaging of Thermally Desorbed Silicon Oxide”, J. Y. Park3 and R. J. Phaneuf, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B, 21, 1254-1257 (2003)
43. “Time Response in Tunneling to a PN Junction,” J. Y. Park3 and R. J. Phaneuf, Applied Physics Letters 82, 64-66 (2003)
42. “Comparison Between Experimental Characterization and Electron Optical Simulation of the Astigmatism of a Magnetic Prism in LEEM”, H. C. Kan3, D. Auerbach1 and R. J. Phaneuf, Review of Scientific Instruments, 74, 1008-1015 (2002)
41. “A Comparison of Stigmatically Focusing Magnetic Prisms of Square vs. Round Symmetries”, H. C. Kan3, T. Dürkop1 and R. J. Phaneuf, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B 20, 2519-2525 (2002)
“Photoelectron Emission Microscopy of Ultrathin Oxide-Covered Devices”, V.
39. “Spectroscopy of an Ensemble of In0.50Ga0.50As Quantum Dots Following Highly Localized Hole Injection by a Scanning Tunneling Microscope”, T.K. Johal3, G. Pagliara, R. Rinaldi*, A. Passaseo R. Cingolani, M. Lomascolo, A. Taurino, M. Catalano and R. J. Phaneuf, Physical Review B 66, 155313-1, -6 (2002)
38. “Polarity-dependence in pulsed scanning tunneling microscopy fabrication and modification of metal nanodots on silicon,” J. Y. Park3 and R.J. Phaneuf, Journal of Applied Physics 92, 2139-2143 (2002)
37. “Direct imaging of a biased pn junction with conductance mapping”, J. Y. Park3, E.D. Williams and R. J. Phaneuf, Journal of Applied Physics 91, 3745-3749 (2002)
36. “A quick estimation of the LEED pattern size formed by an electrostatic objective lens in LEEM”, H.-C. Kan3 and R. J. Phaneuf, Optik 112, 511-514 (2001)
35. “A Model for Doping-Induced Contrast in
34. “Photon Energy Dependence of Contrast in Photoelectron Emission Microscopy of Si Devices”, V. W. Ballarotto3*, K. Siegrist2, R. J. Phaneuf, E. D. Williams, W. C. Yang and R. J. Nemanich, Journal of Applied Physics, 91, 469-475 (2001)
33. “Focusing of low energy electrons by sub-micrometer patterned structures in LEEM”, H.-C. Kan3 and R. J. Phaneuf, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B 19, 1158-1163 (2001)
32. “Scanning Tunneling Spectroscopy of Field Induced Au Nanodots on Ultrathin Oxides on Si(001)”, J. Y. Park3*, R. J. Phaneuf and E. D. Williams, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B 19, 523-526 (2001)
31. “Variation of threshold field in field induced fabrication of Au nanodots on ultrathin in situ grown silicon oxide”, J. Y. Park3*, R. J. Phaneuf and E. D. Williams, Surface Science 470, L69-L74 (2000)
30. “Imaging the Band-Bending Across a
PN-Junction Using Scanning X-ray Photoelectron Microscopy”, R. J. Phaneuf,
H.-C. Kan3, M. Marsi, L. Gregoratti2,
29. “PEEM Imaging of Dopant Contrast in Si(001)”, V. W. Ballarotto3*, K. Siegrist2, R. J. Phaneuf, E. D. Williams and S. Mogren, Surface Science, 461, L571-L574 (2000)
28. “Growth Morphologies in GaAs and InP Molecular Beam Epitaxy”, G. Lengel3, R. J. Phaneuf, E.D. Williams*, S. D. Sarma, W. Beard, and F. G. Johnson, Physical Review B 60, R8469-R8472 (1999)
27. "Equilibration of Ring-Cluster Surface Phases and Silicide Islands for Cobalt adsorbed on Si(111)", R. J. Phaneuf*, P. A. Bennett, M. Marsi, S. Günther3, L. Gregoratti2 and M. Kiskinova, Surface Science, 431, 232-241 (1999)
26. “Ni/Si(111) system: Formation and Evolution of two- and three-dimensional phases studied by spectromicroscopy”, L. Gregoratti2, S. Günther3, J. Kovac, M. Marsi, R. J. Phaneuf and M. Kiskinova, Physical Review B 59, 2018-2024, (1999)
25. “LEEM Studies of Phase Separations and Surface Depletion of Co and Ni on Si(111)”, R. J. Phaneuf* and P. A. Bennett, Surface Review and Letters 5, 1179-1188, (1999)
24. "Low Energy Electron Microscopy Studies of 2D Eutectic Behavior for the growth of Cobalt on Si(111)", (Invited) R. J. Phaneuf*, Y. Hong2, S. Hörch3 and P. A. Bennett, Micron 30, 13-20, (1998)
23. "Lateral pn Junction Characterization with Scanning Tunneling Microscopy: Junction Delineation and Depletion Zone Measurements", M. L. Hildner3, R. J. Phaneuf* and E. D. Williams, Applied Physics Letters 72, 3314-3316, (1998)
22. "Photoemission Electron Microscopy of Schottky Contacts", M. Giesen3*, R. J. Phaneuf, E.D. Williams, and T. L. Einstein, Surface Science 396, 411-421, (1998)
21. "Characterization of P-N Junctions and
20. “Two Dimensional Phase Separation for Co Adsorbed
on Si(111),” R. J. Phaneuf*, P.A. Bennett, Y. Hong2, and
19. "Surface Phase Transformations in the Ni/Si(111) System Real Time Observations Using LEEM and STM," P.A. Bennett*, M. Y. Lee2, S. A. Parikh2, K. Würm2, and R. J. Phaneuf, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A 13, 1728-1732 (1995)
18. "Sublimation and Phase Transitions on Singular and Vicinal Si(111) Surfaces," T. M. Jung1, R. J. Phaneuf* and E. D. Williams, Surface Science 301, 129-135 (1994).
17. "Reduced Background Light in Visual Low-Energy Electron Diffraction Using an Optical Bandpass Filter, "R. J. Phaneuf and H.-C. Kan1, Review of Scientific Instruments 65, 3871-3872 (1994)
16. "Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics of the Faceting of Stepped Si(111)," E. D. Williams*, R. J. Phaneuf, J. Wei2, N. C. Bartelt and T. L. Einstein Surface Science 294, 219-242 (1993).
15. "The Crossover from Metastable to Unstable Facet Growth on Si(111)," R. J. Phaneuf*, N. C. Bartelt, E. D. Williams, W. Swiech2 and E. Bauer, Physical Review Letters 71, 2284-2287 (1993).
14. "Low Energy Electron Microscopy Investigations of the Domain Growth of the (7x7) Reconstruction on Si(111)," R. J. Phaneuf*, N. C. Bartelt, E. D. Williams, W. Swiech2 and E. Bauer, Surface Science 268, 227-237 (1992).
13. "Low Energy Electron Microscopy Investigations of Orientational Phase Separation on Vicinal Si(111) Surfaces," R. J. Phaneuf*, N. C. Bartelt, E. D. Williams, W. Swiech2 and E. Bauer, Physical Review Letters 67, 2986-2889 (1991)
12. "Step Structures and Reconstructions on Vicinal Ge(111) Surfaces," T. M. Jung1, R. J. Phaneuf*, and E. D. Williams, Surface Science 254, 235-250 (1990)
11. "Step-Height Tripling Transition on Vicinal Si(111)," R. J. Phaneuf* and E. D. Williams, Phys. Rev. B 41, 2991-3003, (1990)
10. "Orientational Stability of Silicon Surfaces," N. C. Bartelt*, R. J. Phaneuf, E. D. Williams, and S. Das Sarma, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A 7, 1898-1905 (1989)
9. "Comparison of LEED and STM Measurements of Vicinal Si(111),", X.-S. Wang2, R. J. Phaneuf and E. D. Williams, Journal of Microscopy 152, 473-480 (1988)
8. "The Temperature Dependence of Vicinal Si(111) Surfaces," R. J. Phaneuf*, E. D. Williams and N. C. Bartelt Physical Review B 38, 1984-1993 (1988).
7. "Surface Phase Separation of Vicinal Si(111)," R.J. Phaneuf and E.D. Williams, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A 6, 657-657 (1988).
6. “Metastable Structures of Si(111) Formed by Laser-Quenching,” R. J. Phaneuf* and E. D. Williams, Surface Science 195, 330-340 (1988).
5. "Surface Phase Separation of Vicinal Si(111)," R. J. Phaneuf* and E. D. Williams, Physical Review Letters 58, 2563-2566 (1987).
4. "Comparison of High-Temperature and Laser-Quenched Si(111) Using Low-Energy Electron Diffraction," R. J. Phaneuf* and E. D. Williams, Physical Review B 35, 4155-4158 (1987).
3. “Low Energy Electron Diffraction and Physisorption Studies of the Ge(111) Surface”, M. B. Webb*, R. J. Phaneuf and W. E. Packard, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A 4, 1522-1523 (1986).
2. “A LEED Study of Ge(111): A High Temperature Incommensurate Structure”, R. J. Phaneuf* and M. B. Webb, Surface Science 164, 167-195 (1985).
1. "Current-Voltage Characteristics and Composition Profiles of Ni-Pt Silicide Schottky Diodes," A. Shepela, R. J. Phaneuf, and E. F. Kennedy, Journal of Applied Physics 51, 2928-2932 (1980).
8. “Rectifying behaviour of self assembled porphyrin/fullerene dyads on Au(111)”, F.Matino2, V.Arima, G.Maruccio, R.J.Phaneuf, R.Del Sole, G.Mele, G. Vasapollo, R.Cingolani, R.Rinaldi, Journal of Physics: Conference Series 61, 795-799 (2007)
7. “Enhanced fluorescence using silver nanoparticles patterned by e-beam lithography”,
Henryk Szmacinski*, Vincent J. Pugh, Wayne E. Moore, Timothy C. Corrigan3, Shy-Hauh Guo1, and Ray Phaneuf, Proc. SPIE 5703, 25-33 (2005)
6. “Conductance Imaging of the Depletion Region of a Biased Silicon PN Device”, J.Y. Park3, R. J. Phaneuf* and E.D. Williams, Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings 669, J2.3.1-J.2.3.5, (2001)
5. "PEEM Imaging and Modeling of Dopant-Concentration Variation In Devices", V.W. Ballarotto3*, K. Siegrist2, R.J. Phaneuf and E.D. Williams, AIP Conference Proceedings 550, 307-311 (2001)
4. "Brownian Motion and Coarsening of Domain Boundaries on (7x7)-Si(111)," P. Atala2*, R. J. Phaneuf, N. C. Bartelt, W. Swiech2, and E. Bauer, Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings 404, 117-122, (1996)
3. "Evolution of Si Surface Nanostructure under Growth Conditions," R. J. Phaneuf*, H.-C. Kan1 and E. D. Williams, in: Low dimensional Structures prepared by Epitaxial Growth or Regrowth on Patterned Substrates, ed. K. Eberl (Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht Netherlands, 1995), pp. 185-195.
2. "The Role of Stress in the Faceting of Stepped Si(111) Surfaces," E. D. Williams*, R. J. Phaneuf, N. C. Bartelt, W. Swiech2 and E. Bauer, Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings 238, 227 (1992).
1. “The Phase Diagram of Vicinal Si(111) Surfaces Misoriented Toward the  Direction”, R.J. Phaneuf, N.C. Bartelt and E.D. Williams, Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on the Structure of Surfaces, eds, J.F. van der Veen and M.A. Van Hove, Springer-Verlag, Berlin 525 (1987)