1911 - 1964
From 1911 to 1964, the Polo Grounds was home to three Major League Baseball teams in New York City. The New York Giants, perhaps the most well-known of the three, played there for 46 years - from the opening in 1911 until they left for California in 1957. The New York Yankees shared space with them for the first 11 of years of the stadium - Yankee Stadium opened in the Bronx a year later. Finally, while the Mets, an expansion team, waited for their brand-new Shea Stadium to be completed in Queens, the Polo Grounds hosted two seasons of Major League Baseball. Alone and abandoned, the Grounds were torn down in 1964.
Return to AMST450 Website