Ashwani K. Gupta
Director, The Combustion Laboratory
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742
Tel.: 301-405-5276; FAX: 301-314-9477; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
B.Sc; 1966, M. Sc. 1970 (Southampton University, U.K.),
Ph.D. 1973 (Sheffield University, U.K.), D.Sc. 1986 (Sheffield University)
Professor Ashwani Gupta has been a faculty member in
the Mechanical Engineering Department at
the University of Maryland College Park
Campus since 1983 after
spending six years at
MIT as member of research staff in the Energy Laboratory
and Department of Chemical Engineering and three years at Sheffield University
as independent research worker and research fellow in the Department of
Chemical Engineering and Fuel Technology. He has over 25 years of
experience in Combustion engineering since his graduation from Southampton University in 1970.
He is the co-author of two books
entitled "Swirl flows" and "Flowfield Modeling and Diagnostics". His honors
include a higher doctorate (D.Sc.) from
the University of Sheffield , Energy
Systems Award from
the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
in 1990, a best paper award by ASME in 1991 and four best paper awards
by AIAA in 1987, 1989, 1992 and 1994. He is the founding co-editor of the
Energy Engineering and Environment Series published by CRC Press and Associate
Editor of the Journal of Propulsion and Power. He is the Chairman of AIAA
Terrestrial Energy Systems technical committee and member of the ASME Fuels and Combustion Technology executive committee. He is a fellow of the American
Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics and the Institute of Energy, U.K. and
member of ASME ,
ASEE and the Combustion Institute.
Our research interests lie in the area of swirl flows in combustion, gas
turbine combustion, spray combustion, furnaces and boilers, thermal destruction of solid and liquid wastes, combustion of alternative fuels, highly preheated
air combustion, air pollution and laser diagnostics.
Thermal destruction of solid wastes (Navy)
Thermal destruction of liquid wastes (Navy)
Combustion of chlorinated hydrocarbons (NSF)
Fuel-air mixing under simulated high temperature and pressure conditions (NASA)
Gas turbine combustion (Navy)
Low NOx and high efficiency gas turbine combustion (SCERDC, DOE)
Steam-assisted atomization (ONR)
Highly preheated air combustion (NEDO)
- Lu, J., Gupta, A.K. and Keating, E.L.: Effect of I.C. Engine Operating Conditions on Combustion and Emission Characteristics, ASME J. Fluids Engineering, Vol. 115, No. 4, December, 1993, pp.694-701
- Gupta, A.K. and Lilley, D.G.: Combustion and Environmental Challenges for
Gas Turbines in the 1990s, J. Propulsion and Power, Vol. 10, No. 2, March-April 1994, pp. 137-147.
- Marshall, A.W. and Gupta, A.K.: Effects of Momentum Distributions on Thermal Characteristics of Co-Swirling Flames, AIAA 34th Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Reno, NV, January 15-18, 1996, Paper No. 96-0404.
- Gupta, A.K., Presser, C., Hodges, J.T. and Avedisian, C.T.: Role of
Combustion on Droplet Transport in Pressure-Atomized spray Flames, J.
Propulsion and Power, Vol.12, No. 3, 1996, pp. 543-553.
- Aftel, R., Gupta, A.K., Cook, C. and Presser, C.: Gas Property Effects on
Droplet Atomization and Combustion an an Air Assist Atomizer, Proc. 26th Symposium(International on Combustion), the Combustion Institute, 1996, pp. 1645-1651.
- Gupta, A.K.: Thermal Destruction of Solid Wastes, Journal of Energy Resource Technology, ASME, September, 1996, Vol. 118, pp. 187-192.
- Gupta, A.K. Ilanchezhian, E. And Keating, E.L.: Thermal Destruction
Behavior of Plastic and Non-Plastic Wastes in a Laboratory Scale Facility,
J. of Energy Resources Technology, December 1996, Vol. 118, pp. 269-276.
- Missoum, A., Gupta, A.K. and Chen, J.: Thermal Decomposition of Surrogate
Wastes, Inter-Society Energy Conversion Engineering Conference (IECEC),
Washington, DC, August 12-15, 1996.
- Gupta, A.K., Damm, T., Cook, C., Charagundla, S.R. and Presser, C.: Effect of Oxygen-Enriched Atomization Air on the Characteristics of Spray Flames, 35th Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Reno, NV, Jan. 6-10, 1997, Paper No. 97-0268.
- Brasoveanu, D. and A.K. Gupta: Analysis of Gaseous Fuel and Air Mixing in Flames and Flame Quenching, 33rd AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, July 6-9, 1997, Seattle, WA, Paper No. AIAA 97-3334.
- Gupta, A.K. and Megerle, M.: Effect of Steam-Assisted Atomization on Spray Flame Characteristics, 33rd AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, July 6-9, 1997, Seattle, WA, Paper No. AIAA 97-2839.
Last modified on 07/20/97.
Dr. A. K. Gupta